|your child may have slight fever when her throat is swollen|
The cold season comes with the holiday and with lots of merry-makings your children can be exposed to common diseases brought by the cold season. One of them is Laryngitis which happen when your larynx or voice box is irritated or swollen.
Here are the common signs to look out for laryngitis:
- Hoarse,husky or weak voice
- Sometimes there is no pain but most of the time you get sore throat
- difficulty in swallowing
What to do when your child is having laryngitis:
- Let him rest his voice. Refrain from talking and write notes instead
- Make your child drink a lot of fluids. Make him drink warm drinks such as weak tea with lemon
- Make him gargle every few hours with salt water. This can be done by mixing 1/4 teaspoon of salt in 1 cup warm water
- Make him seat in the bathroom while running hot water in the shower and let him breathe the moist air
- Give him cough drops, throat lozenges or hard candy but don't give these on children under 5
- You may give him over-the -counter medicine for pain as directed on the label
Remember that Laryngitis is caused by irritants like smoke and smug so brace your child from smoke and second hand smoke.Refrain him from straining his voice and stay away from crowded places to avoid viral and bacterial infections.
The cold season is one of the most anticipated season of the year but if you are not careful, it may bring diseases associated with it. So the best thing to do is to have protection and stay away from getting infected.